Return to the
Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, students must turn five (5) on or before August 1 for admission to kindergarten. Previously, students were required to turn 5 on or before October 1 for admission. The change is reflected in KRS 158.030. Madison County Schools will be hosting kindergarten registration at all five kindergarten academies - Madison Kindergarten Academy, Shannon Johnson Elementary, Kingston Elementary, Waco Elementary, and Boonesborough Elementary.
In accordance with KRS 158.031(6), Madison County Schools has established criteria for early entrance to kindergarten. Students who turn 5 years old between August 2 and October 1 will be eligible to enroll provided that the student meets the established criteria. The deadline for application is before March 9.
Criteria for Early Admission for MCS Kindergarten:
- Child must be a resident of Madison County, Kentucky (Madison County Schools);
- Child must turn 5 between August 2 and October 1; and
- Child must score above the 95th percentile on the DIAL-4 Assessment.
Assessments will be scheduled after March 9. Students meeting criteria to attend kindergarten in the fall will be notified by May 15.
- Online/Written applications must be received by March 9 of the year of entry.
- Online applications may be accessed HERE.
- if you prefer to submit a written copy, they are available at the district office and should be returned to Alicia Hunter at the district office.
Additional information can be found in the link below:
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, contact MCS Instructional Supervisor Alicia Hunter at 859-624-4500 ext. 1108.