Return to the
Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, students must turn five (5) on or before August 1 for admission to kindergarten. Previously, students were required to turn 5 on or before October 1 for admission. The change is reflected in KRS 158.030. Madison County Schools will be hosting kindergarten registration at all six kindergarten locations - Madison Kindergarten Academy, Shannon Johnson Elementary, Kingston Elementary, Kirksville Elementary, Waco Elementary, and Boonesborough Elementary.
In accordance with KRS 158.031(6), Madison County Schools has established criteria for early entrance to kindergarten. Students who turn 5 years old between August 2 and October 1 will be eligible to enroll provided that the student meets the established criteria.
Criteria for Early Admission for MCS Kindergarten:
- Child must be a resident of Madison County, Kentucky (Madison County Schools);
- Child must turn 5 between August 2 and October 1; and
- Child must score above the 95th percentile on the DIAL-4 Assessment.
Assessments will be scheduled by district personnel. Students meeting criteria to attend kindergarten in the fall will be notified.
- Online/Written applications must be completed.
- Online applications may be accessed HERE.
- If you prefer to submit a written copy, they are available at the district office and should be returned to MCS Preschool Director Karla Willis at the district office.
Additional information can be found in the link below:
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, contact MCS Preschool Director Karla Willis at 859-625-6037.