Madison County ATC
KY Tech Course Name:
Floor and Wall Framing
Course Number(s) KCTCS Course Name(s) HS PSD/LEAD College Credits H.S. Credit
CAR 190 Floor and Wall Framing I 460212 3 .5
CAR 191 Floor and Wall Framing I Lab. 460224 1 .5
Prerequisite(s): Introduction to Carpentry – Completed with a C or better.
The student will practice floor framing, layout, and construction of floor frames. Cutting and installing floor and wall framing members according to plans and specifications will also be practiced.
~ Textbooks : NCCER Trainee Guide – Core Currriculum
NCCER Trainee Guide – Level One
~ Magazines : Journal of Light Construction, Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking
Install sill plates to foundation walls.
Install lally posts.
Install steel beams, wood beams.
Frame built-up girders.
Install floor joists.
Frame floor openings.
Lay subfloors and underlayment.
Calculate layout, and install stairs.
Frame wall openings
Layout, construct, and install partition and exterior walls using wood and steel.
Install exterior wall sheathing.
Frame special partitions. (i.e. late blueprint changes)
Grading – Same as high school
Procedures for Makeup Work/Tests
A student will be permitted to make up tests and work not completed provided the student has an excused absence for missing the assignments. Excused absences must be must be approved by the high school.
Attendance Policy/Withdrawal Policy
There is a lot of information to be presented. Students are expected to attend and be punctual. In the event a student misses all or part of a class he or she will be expected to make up that days assignment. Withdrawals form the class will be handled by your home high school.
- Always have a pencil. Tests and assignments will be given. Be prepared.
- A student enrolled in this class will be expected to participate in all class activities and to wear proper clothing and safety equipment. (safety glasses, hard hats and tool belts are provided)
3. All other hand tools, power tools and woodworking equipment will be furnished by the school.
- Wear proper clothing and safety equipment.
- Obey all safety rules and regulations.
- Obey all high school rules and policies.
- No horseplay.
- Be sure the classroom and shop are clean and all tools are put away before leaving.
- No profanity
- Keep safety glasses on while in the lab and wear them properly.
- Cell phones and electronic devices are not to be seen or used without permission.