Madison County ATC
KY Tech Course Name:
Ceiling and Roof Framing
Course Number(s) KCTCS Course Name(s) HS PSD/LEAD College Credits H.S. Credit
CAR 196 Ceiling and Roof Framing 460213 3 .5
CAR 197 Ceiling and Roof Framing 460225 1 .5
Prerequisite(s): Introduction to Carpentry
This course covers roof types and combinations of roof types used in the construction industry. The emphasis of this course is on layout, cutting and installing ceiling joists, rafters, roof decking and roof coverings.
~ Textbooks: NCCER Trainee Guide – Carpentry Fundamentals – Level One
NCCER Trainee Guide – Core Curriculum
Magazines: Journal of Light Construction, Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking
- Plan a roof system
- Calculate, layout, cut and erect rafters to build a gable roof.
- Calculate, layout, cut and erect rafters to build a gambrel roof.
- Calculate, layout, cut and erect rafters to build a hip roof and/or other types of roofs.
- Install purlins, collar ties, and knee walls.
- Cut and install ceiling joists.
- Frame roof openings and roof saddles.
- Install roof sheathing
- Install roof felt.
- Install roof flashing and drip edge.
- Install various types of shingles.
- Frame dormers.
- Install various types of attic vents.
- Cut and install tail and jack rafters
Grading – Same as high school
Procedures for Makeup Work/Tests
A student will be permitted to make up tests and work not completed provided the student has an excused absence for missing the assignments. Excused absences must be must be approved by the high school.
Attendance Policy/Withdrawal Policy
There is a lot of information to be presented. Students are expected to attend and be punctual. In the event a student misses all or part of a class he or she will be expected to make up those days assignments. Withdrawals from the class will be handled by your home high school.
- Always have a pencil. Tests and assignments will be given. Be prepared.
- A student enrolled in this class will be expected to participate in all class activities and to wear proper clothing and safety equipment. (safety glasses, hard hats and tool belts are provided)
3. All other hand tools, power tools and woodworking equipment will be furnished by the school.
- Wear proper clothing and safety equipment.
- Obey all safety rules and regulations.
- Obey all high school rules and policies.
- No horseplay.
- Be sure the classroom and shop are clean and all tools are put away before leaving.
- No profanity
- Keep safety glasses on while in the lab and wear them properly.
- Cell phones and electronic devices are not to be seen or used without permission.