Madison County ATC
KY Tech Course Name:
Course Number(s) KCTCS Course Name(s) College Credits H.S. Credit
CAR 200 Exterior/Interior Finish (460219) 3 .5
CAR 201 Exterior/Interior Finish Lab (460228) 1 .5
Prerequisite(s): CAR 130/131 Introduction to Carpentry
This course presents basic concepts of building trim, gypsum wallboard, paneling, base, ceiling and wall molding with instruction on acoustical ceilings and insulation, wood floors, tile, and tools of the flooring trades. This course will continue to refine the techniques and skills taught in the previous carpentry courses. In this course, cost control, speed, and precision are emphasized. In addition, students will perfect the skills associated with the exterior finishing of a house.
~ Textbooks: NCCER Trainee Guide – Core Curriculum
NCCER Trainee Guide – Carpentry Level One
- Cut and install exterior doors.
- Install windows, hardware and trim.
- Estimate and install insulation.
- Install various types of exterior siding.
- Estimate, install and finish interior drywall.
- Estimate and install paneling and molding.
- Install doors, hardware and trim.
- Erect scaffolds.
- Estimate, cut and install floor, wall and ceiling molding.
- Build and install cornices using different types of materials.
Grading Scale – Same as high school
Procedures for Makeup Work/Tests
A student will be permitted to make up tests and work not completed provided the student has an excused absence for missing the assignments. Excused absences must be must be approved by the high school.
Attendance Policy/Withdrawal Policy
There is a lot of information to be presented. Students are expected to attend and be punctual. In the event a student misses all or part of a class he or she will be expected to make up missed assignments. Withdrawals from the class will be handled by your home high school.
- Always have a pencil. Tests and assignments will be given. Be prepared.
- A student enrolled in this class will be expected to participate in all class activities and to wear proper clothing and safety equipment. (safety glasses, hard hats and tool belts are provided)
- All other hand tools, power tools and woodworking equipment will be furnished by
- Wear proper clothing and safety equipment.
- Obey all safety rules and regulations.
- Obey all high school rules and policies.
- No horseplay.
- Be sure the classroom and shop are clean and all tools are put away before leaving.
- No profanity
- Keep safety glasses on while in the lab and wear them properly.
- Cell phones and electronic devices are not to be seen or used without permission.