MADISON COUNTY SCHOOLS
CLASS TITLE: Certified Teacher
REPORTS TO: School Principal / Designee
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
APPROVED: October 21, 2021- Order #2021-2973
To establish a learning situation for students that will meet the needs of each student at his/her own level. To ensure that each student will grow to his/her greatest intellectual ability, emotional development, and psychological well-being.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these objectives to students
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved
- Strives to implement, by instruction and action, the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for instructional teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, evaluates job performance
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required
- Maintains regular attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Research methods and report writing techniques.
- Laws, rules, and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of the field of specialty.
- To perform the responsibilities as previously outlined.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a computer terminal.
- Prioritize and schedule work.
- Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements, and restrictions.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision, and hearing
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull lightweights
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in the field of assignment (minimum requirement)
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Kentucky Teaching Certification for area and grade level of assignment
Positive feedback on reference checks