CLASS TITLE: Director of Special Education
REPORTS TO: Chief Academic Officer
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
APPROVED: January 14, 2016- Order #2016-1720
To lead, facilitate, coordinate, and monitor the implementation, operation, and evaluation of special education programs to ensure a soundly based systemic approach to improving education so that all children learn.
- Development of an organization and staffing plan to assure attainment of objectives; make or recommend changes as appropriate.
- Assist principals, councils, and staff with assessing school needs and services, instructional programs and strategies, and implementing an effective curriculum and method for improving instruction and ensure that all students learn to their highest potential.
- Collaborate with district staff and others to develop, implement, and/or obtain and provide needed resources, services, and materials for students.
- Respond in a timely manner to parent and community concerns about the special education program and related issues upon request and as needed; facilitate group meetings as needed.
- Develop and monitor procedures for maintenance of confidentiality of special education documentation.
- Update policies and procedures as related to special education as required.
- Work on the development implementation and evaluation of the district consolidated plan, and other school district projects and committees.
- Develop, implement, and monitor budgets related to special education.
- Facilitate requests to the District for complaints, due process, hearings, and mediations.
- Prepare and submit federal and state reports.
- Supervise and evaluate assigned staff.
- Facilitate and coordinate the implementation and evaluation of special education programs; prepare staff development plans indicated by evaluation.
- Maintain regular attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Research methods and report writing techniques.
- Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- To perform the responsibilities as previously outlined.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a computer terminal.
- Prioritize and schedule work.
- Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Kentucky Certification in Special Education (teacher).
- Valid Kentucky Certificate as Supervision of Special Education.
- Education and Administrative experience preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in special education.