MADISON COUNTY SCHOOLS
CLASS TITLE: Special Education Teacher
REPORTS TO: School Principal or Designee
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
APPROVED: October 21, 2021- Order #2021-2973
To help special needs students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for instructional teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, evaluates their job performance.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
- Maintains regular attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Research methods and report writing techniques.
- Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- To perform the responsibilities as previously outlined.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a computer terminal.
- Prioritize and schedule work.
- Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision, and hearing
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull lightweights
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in field of assignment (minimum requirement)
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Kentucky Teaching Certification for Special Education
Positive feedback on reference checks